Sunday 21 October 2012

Doctor's Diary


Doctor’s Diary

(Friends, hundreds of thousands Gujarati readers are acquainted with Dr Sharad Thakar”s
two popular columns : “Doctor's Diary” & “Rann Ma Khilyu Gulab” since last  18 years. I too have read him in different newspapers earlier and presently read him in “Divya Bhaskar”.

When he arrived at Nihar… with severe pain, we were in a way happy.
We were grateful to this pain which brought Dr Thakar saheb to us.

Dr Thakar saheb was cured at Nihar Arogya Mandir and he wrote about this on
11th January, 2012  in “Kalash” ( a weekly supplement of Divya Bhaskar daily newspaper )
We received numerous telephones and many came to us for treatment also with full faith in us ,
because Dr Thakar saheb had fully narrated  his case history.

It is a matter of deep satisfaction for us that inspite of practising as MD (Gynec) ,
Dr.  Thakar saheb placed immense  faith in naturopathy and was  kind enough to re-write
 the episode for us for our journal “Anupan
 – Mukesh Patel )
--------------------------------------

“How are you, doctor”, I was repeatedly greeted one day in September by a barrage of telephone calls.
I would answer: “ See, I am not well. I am sick”. Quickly came a second question: “ You mean even  doctors fall sick ?” Boring questions. I would reply: “ Not only doctors fall sick, but they die also. Many of the greatest doctors of this planet are presently in the heaven today.”
My bad luck was at its peak on 16th Sept.  I had travelled to visit one institution. But I got a bad bargain. Two hundred kms journey one way was completed entirely in a bus. The vehicle was large,  spacious and comfortable but the roads were very bad.
They were perhaps the most underdeveloped  roads in our  otherwise most  developed state. The monsoon season was just over. There were pot holes  all across the roads, reminding of the tar and grit which was there once upon a time.  We had a rough ride and with every jolt, now & then,  I would sigh painfully:  “ ah”, “ouch” and “ oh my god”.
I was back home a little past midnight, fully wrenched, turned and twisted – just like a damp garment that has been processed  in  a washing machine.
The road journey had created a two-fold problem: My back had been jolted beyond my capacity to bear and I got  a swelling in my stomach and intestines. The waist was sprained and repeatedly gave me shooting pain from one specific point. I could not sleep for the whole night. To cure hyper acidity, I took two tablets but the nausea continued  till morning.
First thing in the morning, I rang up a friend who was an orthopaedic surgeon: “ when you start from your home for the clinic, please do  visit  my residence on the way”. He asked: “ Why, what is wrong with you?”. I replied: “ I will tell you when we meet.”
He could sense  my boredom in my voice and was with me in next few minutes. He asked me again: “ what is wrong with you?”
I was soon describing the problem in detail: “ The sciatica nerve passing through the two spinal discs  seems to have been injured. There is non stop sensation in right leg. It feels like some type of electrical current .
We have studied the human anatomy and the complete route of sciatica nerve. I am able to narrate it without any dissection of the body, because whole of it is paining. I am unable to sleep,  in whichever  position I may try.
I have tried sleeping in each and every position, turning to right and left, sleeping on my stomach, on my back, sleeping on four ‘legs’ like a frog,  keeping pillows on both sides, but no relief. The electric current is running non-stop.”
Doctor examined me and then advised : “ Your judgement is correct. The jumpy bus ride has injured your spinal discs. Sciatica nerve has been inflamed. Take some pain killer tablets and also bed rest for some days. You will be alright”.
I quickly disagreed: “ Bed rest is impossible. Where is rest or sleep? There is huge work load. Pain killer tablets do not suit me. I have my loyal, age-old acidity problem which no doctor has been able to treat so far. These tablets cause vomits.’
“Never mind,  take them together  with antacid tablets ”, he said.
“ I am doing that. I am gulping down all sorts of them; digene, ranitidine, famotidine, rabeprazole , domperidon, and what not. I have emptied in my throat half a bottle of mucaine gel also. I have been taking only cold milk and ice cream. Inspite of all this,  a small fire is burning in my stomach”.
He suggested his last remedy: “ take paracetamol”. I said: “ I can’t. For me, it is not vomit-proof.
My orthopaedic friend had nothing more to offer.  He did not say it in so many words that ‘my dear, this is all that allopathy can do for you’. But his helplessness was clearly visible on his face.  He gave me some  words of consolation and left.
I kept tossing  for three long days and nights. I was unable to sit in my consulting chair , yet I was forced to sit. I was tired and was losing the battle.
Suddenly, a name flashed brightly on my mental screen!
Before some months, I was introduced to one gentleman: Mukesh Patel. He runs a nature cure clinic .. Nihar Arogya Mandir. He and his wife  make a  zealous and enthusiastic pair. He regularly  publishes various articles written by Kanti Bhatt, Gunvant Shah & also by my close friend Madhav Ramanuj in his magazine ‘Anupan’. He has even published some articles from my “Doctor’s Diary and  I had also visited his clinic once for attending some  meeting.
I rang him up immediately: “ Mukesh bhai, I have this type of problem and if you can treat me without a single tablet or capsule, I can come to you.” He affectionately said ‘yes’ and I started for his clinic with my dear, obedient wife.
Mukesh bhai and Deepika bahen heard my problem with keen interest. Then Mukesh bhai asked me: “ your food intake will have to be strictly regulated. Will you be able to control your tongue and the taste buds?”
I promised him befittingly: “ Even a royal buffet in a king’s palace  will not be able to tempt me. Please go ahead”
“OK then, no food from this very moment. Only fruits and juices. No milk, curd or butter-milk. Do not even think of tea. Your meals will have two bananas and one apple, two times a day. Are you ready?” He asked. And I immediately agreed.
He then asked me to sleep on one side on his table. I was asked to remove all upper clothes. Castor oil massage was lightly applied on my waist and on the back. Steam fomentation was given. I hardly got any quick relief.
“Now turn and lie down  on your back. We will apply mud pack on the abdomen.” Mukesh bhai’s advice reminded me of Gandhiji, who  was a great admirer of this treatment. I hardly had any faith in this treatment but like a good patient, I cooperated fully. The cool black mud had a favourable effect on the fire burning in my stomach since past few days. I spent about two hours there on and took their leave.
I had to be there for a full course of seven days and this was very,  very inconvenient for me. But I was greedy and needy and had little choice. I was to soon  undertake two journeys in a single  week – of eight hundred kms each. For two days there was not much change in my condition, although the fire in the stomach was slowly cooling down. But sciatica was still giving me the shocks.
At last, for a moment, Mukesh bhai applied pressure at one specific point on my right leg. It was acupressure.. and the shocks and jerks were gone! It is eight months now and I am a jumping jack once again, without any problem!
And what about my acidity?
His advice for diet control was only for four or five days, but I did it for full twenty one days. I lived only on fruits.  I created  a best example of controlling my taste buds and temptations. I even attended a very delicious looking buffet dinner party , sitting all the while like a yogi.
Jay Vasavada was sitting on one side  & Kajal Vaidya was on the other.  Both these friends were making best efforts for tempting me and trying spicy varieties before my eyes. But I was sitting in the middle, like a silent witness. Because I wanted to be cured.
After this incident, I have come to realize the limitations of allopathic treatment. And what a wonderful healing power resides in the five elements of Mother Nature, namely: Fire, Earth, Water, Air and Space !!

--------------------------------------


Thanks a lot, Thakar saheb. This self-example that you have placed before our society speaks a lot about your frank and straight-forward thoughts, which greatly reflect in you as a person also, as we know it and as is reflected in your narration published  above.
You have chosen to publish your intimate, personal  experience of miraculous  nature cure even though you practice modern medicine.
We have a request for our readers. Many of you might have taken out treatment and obtained best results.
By reading this article, if you also feel like sharing your personal success story  of nature cure for the benefit of the society, please write to us. If you so desire, we will be happy change your name and maintain confidentiality.
Nature cure is not a therapy but rather a life style.  Nature cure is not a therapy but rather a life style. If we keep observing and counting small miracles achieved with our disciplined habits, if we pause a little bit to wonder, the Nature is here & now, around us.
If one looks at 125 years’ history of nature cure treatment, one unbelievable fact will observed:  many physicians, MD etc have turned to nature cure practice after doing the modern-day allopathic practice!
With this dual experience, they have come to a conclusion that human body recovers by itself! It has great, miraculous power to return to good health after sickness and that is how the body can be maintained for long years.
If we observe fast and limit our food intake to fruit juices, water, butter milk, salads & milk, the body will have to spend less energy in digesting the food and it will be left with much more energy to quickly heal itself by throwing out the waste, toxins and other harmful substances.
Our body works day and night to look after itself, to protect and cleanse itself. And we also work round the clock to disturb our body by doing more and more wrong things.
It is a great pity that the so-called intelligent human being is the greatest enemy of the human body. He finds out so many new, artificial and unhealthy eatable items every day that his otherwise powerful digestive system also does not know how to handle such modern foods.
Body wants to live longer. If you can not help it, at least do not create hurdles for it. Have respect for its self-healing powers.  And if you wish to live a healthy, energetic and disease- free life, come to Mother Nature with full faith and devotion.
Fast regularly but do not starve yourself. Follow a scientific diet plan. Do light and harmless exercise and yoga. Take some food for the mind. Live in harmony with the nature, live lightly and take natural foods.– Mukesh Patel 



No comments:

Post a Comment